Welcome to the Thyroid Center of Santa Monica
Out of Network Second Opinion Before Surgery for Thyroid Nodules and Cancer
How Does it work?
1.Make contact with a thyroid cancer expert that is not a surgeon! An endocrinologist with expertise in thyroid cancer is the best option.
2. Send all your records including pathology material before the interview.
3. The evaluation will include:
Complete thyroid examination for nodules and lymph nodes.
Thyroid blood tests with antibodies and thyroglobulin.
Diagnostic Endocrine Neck Ultrasound
Ultrasound Guided Extra-Fine #27 Needle Aspiration Biopsy ( No Suction No Local Needed )
eROSE ( Endocrine Adequate Assessment )
Thyroid Cancer Molecular Markers by Needle Washout during the FNA or Later on Cytology Slides.
Review of prior FNA slides.
Final Second opinion results and recommendations.
Second Opinion results:
What if the recommendation is no surgery?
What are the non-surgical options possible?
Active surveillance of <1.5 cm primary papillary thyroid cancers Follow these with ultrasound yearly instead of surgery. Only operate if the nodule grows >3 mm. Most never have surgery, and the rest do just as well as if the had surgery at first.Alternative if the patient does not want surgery of long periods with a cancer in the neck they can opt of ethanol ablation or RFA.
~ Ultrasound-Guided PEI thyroid mixed cysts,
Parathyroid cysts, thyroid cancer lymph nodes and small <1.5 cm primary cancers
~ RFA radiofrequency ablation for solid nodules, recurrent thyroid cancers and small primary cancers
Out of Network Second Opinion Before Surgery.
Thyroid Surgery is rarely an emergency.It is an elective procedure.
Don’t rush without knowing all your options.
Why a second opinion? It can confirm that you are doing the right thing.
- It can change the diagnosis.
- It can change the extent of surgery.
- It can find the type of cancer has been downgraded to benign.
- It can find that you had a nodule that was incompletely evaluated before recommending surgery.
- It can help you find non-surgical treatment for benign nodules and some thyroid cancers.
- It can find that your small cancer is harmless and can be best treated by just yearly ultrasounds or ethanol ablation instead of surgery.
- It can help you find alternative treatment specialists for small cancers in the thyroid and local recurrent cancers.
- It can determine if a nodule or cancer can be treated with minimally invasive ethanol or radio frequency ablation instead of surgery.
9.Finally it can direct you to high volume thyroid surgeons with low complication rate.
- Second opinion is not a wasted time.It is giving you peace of mind that you are doing the right thing.
- A second opinion with me can save you from things going wrong if you just rush to surgery.
- Call me at 310-393-8860 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org for my second opinion.
- Richard Gutter MD,FACE,ECNU
- 43 years helping people with thyroid cancer and nodules to get the right care they deserve the first time.
Meet Dr. Guttler
The Thyroid Center of Santa Monica is a multiservice center established for the diagnosis and treatment of thyroid disorders in Santa Monica, California. Since 1974, Dr. Richard Guttler, clinical thyroidologist and board-certified endocrinologist, has been the director for the Thyroid Center of Santa Monica. Dr. Guttler is also the sole owner of the Endocrine Neck Ultrasound Lab of Southern California, an extension of the thyroid center.
Non-Surgical Thyroid Cancer Treatment
Your one-stop-shop for the diagnosis
and treatment of thyroid conditions
Our practice is highly specialized and is one of only a few centers across the United States focused entirely on thyroid problems.
We commonly serve patients who have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, and other conditions involving the thyroid. For patients diagnosed with thyroid cancer and thyroid nodules, we offer innovative, advanced techniques that are smart, cost-effective alternatives to surgery. Interventional thyroid procedures include ultrasound-guided percutaneous ethanol injections (PEIs) for cysts and thyroid cancer lymph nodes,radiofrequency ablation for solid nodules, and HIFU for solid thyroid nodules
Because of our specialty services, patients come from all over the world to see Dr. Guttler. In addition, endocrinologists travel to Dr. Guttler’s office for his workshops and Masters classes offering advanced training and knowledge in thyroidology.
Thyroid Center of Santa Monica welcomes your call and looks forward to serving patients and their physicians. To request a consultation, please call our office at (310) 393-8860
Thyroid No Surgery 101
Published in American Thyroid Association new video journal VideoEndocrinology: My Simple Office Ethanol Ablation Procedure for thyroid/parathyroid cysts and recurrent thyroid cancer lymph nodes.
Published in American Thyroid Association new video journal VideoEndocrinology: My Simple Office...More info
Thyroid Radiofrequency RFA 101: RFA for benign thyroid nodules, and Thyroid Cancer nodal metastatic lymph nodes, and micro-papillary thyroid cancer
The patient with a cosmetic or symptomatic benign thyroid nodules can be treated with RFA.Also thyroid cancer lymph nodes and micro-papillary cancer can be an alternative active surveillance. We need to send you to Europe or Korea until RFA is approved in the USA.