Thyroid Disease 101: Thyrotoxicosis and Risk of Heart Disease Years later.
1.Overactive thyroid disease causes long term risks for the heart.
2. Failed radioiodine therapy to cause hypothyroidism resulted in high hospital visits for cardiac disease.
3. Heart disease was not increased in patients who received a thyroidectomy or radioactive iodine treatment who became hypothyroid after radioactive iodine therapy.
4. Study of 4334 patients in the thyroidectomy subgroup and 1814 patients who received radioactive iodine treatment.
5. 25 years posttreatment, radioactive iodine-treated patients who failed to become hypothyroid were eliminated, no significant difference was seen in CVD mortality between thyroidectomy-treated and radioactive iodine-treated patients.
Only failed radioiodine patients to become hypothyroid were at risk for long term heart disease.
1. Essi R, Saara M, Heini H, Matti V, Anssi A, Pia J. Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality after treatment of hyperthyroidism with either radioactive iodine or thyroidectomy. Thyroid. 2018;28(9):1111-1120.
2. Emerson, CH. Therapy-induced hypothyroidism reduces long-term post-treatment cardiovascular morbidity and mortality in Graves’ disease and toxic multinodular goiter. Clin Thyroidol. 2018;30(9):408-411.