Biotin for hair loss, in the blood stream it can impact the results of thyroid tests.
- Biotin can lead to falsely high or low test results, which can lead to a misdiagnosis.
- Doctors just have to be aware and patients need to be aware that if they’re taking high doses of the biotin, it might fool their lab tests.
- 54-year-old woman who came to doctors with a suspected overactive thyroid. Tests identified what the woman suspected, but further questioning revealed she was taking high-dose biotin for her multiple sclerosis.
- If someone thought they had an overactive thyroid gland, they would’ve received dangerous antithyroid drugs that they didn’t need.
- Marketers of claim the Biotin can boost hair, nail and skin growth with no scientific backing.
- Biotin is currently the top-selling vitamin on Amazon.ca.
- An estimated 49.6 million units of the product were sold in the U.S. between July 2016 and July 2017.
- Patients should refrain from biotin products for at least a day before a blood test, or up to a week if taking high doses of biotin.