Does Your Physician Order Reverse rT3 in a Thyroid Evaluation? He is the only one (<1% of physicians) as it has no clinical use.
Schmidt et al Thyroid 289702018 p. 842
Adds like this make it look like there is a use for rT3, however there are few if any uses in clinical medicine except for a few rare cases and research.
Dr.Guttler’s comments on this article.
- A small group of physicians order rT3. rT3 is a research only test and is needed rarely in clinical setting.
- Most (95%) ordered it once or twice only.
- A rare group (1% ) of the providers ordered 30% of the rT3.
- 60/100 high volume providers were in functional medicine.
- Medline review found little evidence for continued use of rT3 testing.
- Functional medicine websites suggest rT3 is useful for diagnosis of rT3 dominance, and can be used to direct T3 therapy. There is no evidence to back that claim.
- Think about changing physicians if serum rT3 keeps being used to evaluate your thyroid hormone therapy