Very Few Patients Complain About T4 Only Therapy
Those few make noise on the web on alternative websites pushing animal (pig) thyroid,T3 (cytomel) and combo T4/T3.
What do we know in 2017.
- 99% of my a patients are on T4 only and are doing well. I have none on pig thyroid,combo therapy, and none on T3.
- I have several on another brand due to dye problems, and none on the liquid get cap just FDA approved,.
- T4 is the gold standard for treatment now.
- Task force from ATA found no evidence for the addition of of T3 to T4 for treatment.
- Feeling less than 100% on T4 is not a reason to add T3.
- It is experimental only to use T4/T3 combo to research if it will have a place in treatment in the future.
- All endocrine societies do not recommend T4/T3 combo treatment for hypothyroidism.
- Too much T3 is in the pig thyroid.Avoid this when suggested by alternative type physicians.
- Too many patients are at risk for heart and bone damage from the use of T4/T3 combos without any scientific evidence.
- There are no studies with steady state T3 levels all day.These are needed to prove combos are effective.
- T3 pulses result in high levels for part of the day stimulating the heart, similar to the old Armour extract with high T3 amounts in the pig thyroid ( 4 to 1 ).
- The ratio of T4 to T3 is 14 to 1. No present method mimics this ratio and the one study found no difference.
- Some so called experts on the web tell patients to base their treatment on their own preferences.
- T3 or taking too much T4 can make you less depressed and feel better but it is an overdose with the down side of heart and other complications.
- Elderly should avoid T3 as it is fast acting and can hit the heart and bones. Atrial fibrillation, and osteoporosis.
- Pregnant should not take pig thyroid or T4/T3 combo or T3 alone. The fetus runs on T4. The mothers on combo may be causing their baby inadequate neurologic development.
- Clinton is an example of what not to do.Why is this old lady on pig thyroid?
- The myth is in one day on T3 they are now perfect.This is not possible, as it takes a while for a thyroid dose change to work.
- Avoid Any website,book or diet plan by pseudo-thyroid expert Mary Shomon as she pushes use of whatever makes you feel good even if it is bad or unproven by science.
- This is what kind of stuff you will find on her websites and books.