Hypothyroid 101: Physician’s Hypothyroid therapy options.
No Evidence to Justify Switching to T3/T4 combo, T3 alone , or animal products now.
Physicians beware switching away from monotherapy with LT4 may be bad for your patient without research proven effectiveness.
Jonklass et al Thyroid 28(11) 2018 p. 1416
- 363 physicians answered a survey who treated hypothyroidism.
- 98% used monotherapy with LT4 Synthroid or generic.
- Thyroxine monotherapy
- Some increased the dose or changed the therapy depending on the question asked of them.
- Patient continued symptoms was a powerful cause of changing therapy.
- Age and other illness prevented most from changing to to other therapies.
- Physicians willing to change to alternative therapy with T3, T4/T3 combo, or animal thyroid should pause before doing it as there is need for more research.
- Stick with monotherapy as most symptoms are not not due to hypothyroidism while taking LT4 alone.