Hypothyroid 101: When to Use Weekly Instead of Daily T4 Therapy.
- Non adherence is by far the most common cause of poor treatment results.
- If the coeliac test is negative, weight is not declining and there is no diarrhea, non adherence is the cause.
- A trial of prescribing the all weekly dose in a single take, under supervision by a reliable family member.
- This is an off label prescription. Not for older patients with cardiac disease.
- The treatment is usually well tolerated.
- Increasing the daily dose of thyroxine does not usually work in these patients.
- Weekly oral administration is recommended by the American Thyroid Association guidelines on hypothyroidism (1).