Hypothyroid Prescribing Therapy Choices By Endocrinologists
Jonklaas et al
Thyroid 29(1) 2019 p.44.
Dr.Guttler’s comments :
- American thyroid association members surveyed.
- 389 answered to the questions.
- 93% treated hypothyroidism.
- 53% practice for >20 years.
- 23% 10 -20 years.
- 64% practice in the North America.
- 86% endocrinologist.
- North American endocrinologists were more likely to give T3 therapy alone, T4/T3 combo or even thyroid extract than their counterparts in Europe.
- There is patient pressure on endocrinologists to listen to complaints when taking T4 even if the tests are normal.
- Internet information on alternative therapy also pressures the physician to switch to T3 or thyroid extract.