Subclinical Hyperthyroidism 101: Lower TSH Causes Decreased Muscle Strength in Elderly.
- Subclinical hyperthyroid causes muscle weakness.
- What about low TSH in the normal range.
- As we age TSH values need to be adjusted toward the higher end of the normal range.
- 1200 men and women were studied by hand grip.
- Lower TSH equaled a 5 % loss of hand grip strength.
- Men with low muscle strength had a 22% lower TSH.
- Risk of decreased muscle strength was 4 times higher with low end normal range TSH.
- There was no effect in elderly females.
- JCEM 103(11) 2018 Kim B-J et al