Subclinical Hypothyroidism SCH 101: Does it Cause Depression? Probably Not!
KIm J. et al
JCEM May 2018 103(5) 1827-1833
JCEM May 2018 103(5) 2061-64
Dr. Guttler’s comments on these two articles. Kim’s first
- SCH and depression is not a proven association.
- Out of 220,000 patients 7300 developed depression.
- No apparent association with SCH and depression was found.
- Dr Samuel’s comments.
- Major affective disorders ARE NOT associated with SCH.
- They are an independent disorder.
- Depressive symptoms are more likely when the patient knows they have a thyroid condition and has self -knowledge of thyroid disease.
- It is OK to treat a patient with SCH with affective symptoms but do not expect relief of depressive symptoms.
- Moderate or severe depressive symptoms are not due to SCH, and a primary psychiatric diagnosis needs to be diagnosed and treated.