Thyroid Disease in Birds 101: Bird’s Bald Spots
- Hypothyroid in birds can cause feather destructive behavior.
- Feather-destructive disorder is a common and complex problem in birds.
- The species in which we typically see it are cockatoos, African Greys, macaws, conures, cockatiels and lovebirds.
- They start chewing the feathers, pulling them out altogether or even mutilating their bodies, the cause can be medical, behavioral or a combination of the two.
- Hypothyroidism is one cause.
- Treatment takes time and patience, and it may not lead to a complete cure.
- Thyroid medication can help to reduce inflammation, itchiness and anxiety.