Thyroid Specialists Comments on Patient’s Use of Thyroid
Sample of Comments by physicians about Adverse Events
- “I never prescribe THE, but new patients to me are taking it. I insist they switch to LThyroxine”. I refuse to prescribe THE.”
- Patient with arrthythmias refuses to stop THE. he would rather die than stop his THE.
- Abnormal labs on THE cause primary MDs to refer for endocrine consultations.
- “dangerous medication” “should be withdrawn from the market” “Long history of problems” “FDA failure to deal with this”
- “variable thyroid hormone tests on THE” My best referral source is related to the use of this old drug.
- ” Adverse events at least 20 patients.” ” at least 20 others with TSH suppressed to toxic levels < 0.01.”
- ” THE was great from 1870 to 1960. It saved lives. Threre was nothing else. Once modern TSH tests could read low <0.01, it became obvious that significant number of patients with heart and bone disease were overdosed on THE. The drug has out lasted it’s usefulness with the modern use for thyroxine (LT4). There needs to be a hall of fame for ancient drugs that should not ever be used in 2017. THE is a classic example of one that needs to be retired to the hall sooner than later.” DR.G.