2020 The Year of Thyroid Radiofrequency Ablation RFA by Interventional Thyroidologists.
Typical benign nodule in a patient with symptomatic and cosmetic issues who does not want surgery. Ideal candidate for thyroid RF.
- FDA approved thyroid RF is now available in the US to treat many conditions that were usually treated by surgeons.
- Benign Thyroid Nodules were the bread and butter surgery procedures by surgeons for 80 years.
- The surgeons still want to remove your benign thyroid nodule by admitting you to their hospital.
- This primitive procedure is best used for thyroid cancer not benign thyroid nodules.
- The medical world already has proclaimed that benign thyroid cysts should not be treated with surgery. Ethanol PEI and RFA are now the treatments of choice for cystic benign thyroid nodules. Patients need to say no to surgery for cysts and find an interventional thyroidologist to do PEI or RFA.
- Also Parathyroid cysts have ethanol ablation PEI as the treatment of choice. Surgery again is not needed.
- Another area where RFA is making in roads is in treatment of micro-papillary thyroid cancer. The options before RFA were surgery or long term observation called Active Surveillance AS.
- To many patients both may be unacceptable. Some drop out of AS and in the past opted for surgery rather than having a cancer in their neck for years with 10% chance it will grow someday.
- Thyroid RF can ablate the small cancer in the thyroid gland, and with follow up cutting needle biopsy to proof it has be destroyed.
- Another new use for RFA is not in the thyroid, but in the parathyroid.
- Almost all cases of parathyroid adenoma PTA in the past had some form of surgery. A special 3-5 mm tip electrode from RF Medical Korea makes the ablation easy.
- Parathyroid RFA has unique ability to ablate many PTAs. With the help of Dextrose infusion to separate the PTA from the recurrent nerve. A rather simple low wattage ( 5 watts) compared to 20-60 watts for a thyroid nodule is enough to ablate a PTA in a few minutes.
- Say no to the surgeons, and get an evaluation to see if you are a candidate for thyroid or parathyroid RF.
- Call me at 310-393-8860 or secure email to email@example.com
- Image of my teacher Dr.Lenardo Rangel in Brazil who has been helping endocrinologists from the USA in his advanced Thyroid RF workshops.