800,000 Thyroid Cancer Survivors: Who are at risk for late onset life threatening conditions?
Recent article on thyroid cancer survivors.
- Thyroid hormone suppression therapy and radioiodine treatment are both risk factors for late onset disease.
- Male thyroid cancer survivors had 50% higher risk of cardiovascular disease vs females.
- Obese cancer survivors had a 41% increase risk over 5 years.
- TSH suppression therapy for cancer had a 25% increased risk over the next 5 years..
- RAI/131 therapy increased risk over those with just surgery alone over 5 years.