Can F.I.S.H tell a Hurthle Cell Neoplasm from Benign Hurthle Cell Proliferation?
Dr.Guttler’s Comments ion this article.
- All non-neoplastic nodules were benign by F.I.S.H.
- 7/9 Hurthle cell adenomas were positive by F.I.S.H.
- 9/12 carcin0mas were positive by F.I.S.H
- F.I.S.H is a method of evaluating 5,7,and 12 chromosomal abnormalities in thyroid nodules.
- Too early to tell if it has value. Need more research
SM Bibbey et al J. Amer.Soc. Cytopathology 2018(7) 195-200
Fluorescence in Situ hybridization (F.I.S.H) of thyroid fine needle biopsies can tell the difference between neoplastic and non-neoplastic Hurthle cell nodules.
Above: Non-neoplastic Hurthle cell nodule with no evidence of chromosomal abnormalities seen in B.
D shows chromosomal abnormalities of # 5 and 7 in a Hurthle cell neoplasm.