Childhood Papillary Thyroid Cancer PTC 101: The follicular variant form may not need a total thyroidectomy.
JCEM 103(4) April 2018:1639-48
Samuels S. et al
DR.Guttler’s comments on this article.
- Adult non-invasive follicular variant of PTC is low risk of spread or persistent disease.
- < 19 year old were studied.
- Childhood FVPTC <1 cm
- 18/110 had the criteria.
- 13/18 had one encapsulated nodule and no bilateral disease.
- 9/14 had capsule invasion.
- 6/18 had blood vessel invasion.
- 0/13 had lymph node metastatic disease.
- 1/18 with vascular invasion had distant mets.
- FVPTC in <19 year old patients is low risk and may be treated less aggressively in the future.
- A lobectomy and surveillance may be adequate in place of the total thyroidectomy.
- In the future treatment of < 1.0 cm FVPTC may be treated with alternative therapy with ethanol or radiofrequency ablation instead of surgery.