Endocrinologists Alert: We Need to Embrace Thyroid Radiofrequency Ablation RFA Now Before it is Lost to the Radiologists and Surgeons.
Many fellow endocrinologists failed to grasp the importance of ablation procedures for treating thyroid nodules cancer. Many avoided learning ethanol ablation even though it is safe the treatment of choice for cystic nodules and an easy out patient procedure.
Now FDA approved thyroid RF in late 2018. Many experts agree that Thyroid RF will become the treatment of choice for thyroid nodules, and replace surgery and Active surveillance for small thyroid cancers.
Surgeons are being told by their professors they will be Dinosaurs if they don’t get a piece of thyroid RF.
The leading DNA/mRNA expert also feels thyroid RF is the future for thyroid nodules and cancer.
How do you get a trained in this exciting new procedure in the USA?
There are several teaching programs available for endocrinologists.
- Endocrinologist only 2 day masters class in RF with Dr.Richard Guttler. In addition to lectures and RF workshop on phantoms, you will be able to watch Dr.Guttler do RF on one of his patients.
My 2 day RFA course
Day 1 Thursday
- US anatomy as it relates to RFA.
- History and prior research of RFA for thyroid-nodules and cancer.
- Benign thyroid nodules
- Recurrent PTC neck lymph nodes
- AFTN and toxic nodules
- Thyroglassal duct cysts
- Thyroid and parathyroid cysts
10AM practice using parallel approach with thyroid torso model.
No use of perpendicular method for RFA. Those using this need to work on perpendicular for RFA.
11AM Details of a RFA generator system.
1.Location of isthmus blood vessels.
2.Thyroid capsule Lidocaine injection.
3.Trans-isthmus approach for electrode.
4.The nodule into 10 mm sections for ablation.
- Begin posterior inferior of the nodule.
- After ablation move electrode inferior anterior and
- Use the same entry point and by moving shot method go to inferior middle of the nodule and continue ablation.
- Conclude inferior superior inferior to superior anterior.
- Remove “nodule” and examine for extent of ablation.
Day 2 Friday
- Results of studies
- Novel techniques and equipment.
Workshop on Novel methods.
- Microdissection using water in place of dextrose with models
With a target nodule near a danger structure.
Workshop on thyroid RFA
- Cancer lymph nodes.
3-5 Patients (1-2 ) for RFA treatment of a thyroid nodule by Dr.Guttler.
Course Fee is $2,000.
Richard Guttler MD,FACE,ECU
Call for details to 13103938860 or email to email@example.com.
- When you complete my course you are ready to do your first patient. However, you can’t do a patient in a training course in the US, Europe or Korea.
- The only place to actually do a RF on a patient with a thyroid nodule is Brazil.
- Dr. Leonardo Rangel in Rio has a 2 day course which includes the visiting endocrinologists to watch and then do thyroid RF on one of his patients.
- I attended in August 2019 and found all my worry about doing RFA was for nothing. It is much easier than one can image in your endocrinologist brain.
- Under expert guidance I was very comfortable placing the electrode in the neck of a patient.
- This experience had dispelled any lingering doubt about my competence to preform thyroid RF on my patients.
- World expert Dr.J.H. Baek has been training physicians in Seoul Korea for many years. His course is the number one place to learn thyroid RF. However, even after that course you still only watched RF procedures on humans.
- Dr Roberto Valcavi in Italy was my first RF teacher 4 years ago and has a training course outside of Bologna.