Hypothyroid 101: All First Degree Relatives are At Risk
1. Most all Hypothyroidism is a result of autoimmune disease called Chronic Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis CHT.
2. Unless you had your thyroid removed or had radiation therapy you most likely have CHT.
3. This autoimmune disease runs in families.
4. If one of your close relatives like mother or sister have CHT you are risk.
5. CHT can occur down to age 4-5. That means your children are at risk.
6. CHT causes harm way before the person becomes hypothyroid.
7.Long period of normal blood tests except for thyroid antibodies can result in growth or the thyroid into a goiter.
8. The rising TSH can stimulate nodules and cancers to grow.
9. What do you do? Notify your loved ones and recommend they be tested. Bring your children in for an examination and TSH FT4 And thyroid antibodies.
10 Thyroid cancer has been found in children with untreated CHT down to 7 years old.
11. When your physician tells you you are hypothyroid you need to know that is not the cause of the hypothyroidism. The cause is CHT in most cases if they did not have surgery or radiation treatment. Demand to have a consultation with an endocrinologist.
12. Children under 18 need to be checked while they are still not adults.
13. Call me at 310-393-8860 or email to email@example.com for an evaluation.