Primary Micro-Papillary Thyroid Cancers 101: There are Three Options.
Ultrasound of a small papillary cancer well contained in the lobe.
- Surgery was always the first option for thyroid cancers.
- However, < 1.5 cm tumors with intact capsules without local extension are now consider safe enough to follow without surgery.
- This is called Active Surveillance AS and requires years of follow up to be sure the tumor was not growing.
- If it was found to grow the patient would have surgery.
- Vast majority do not grow.
- This leaves the patient with cancer in the neck for possibly their whole life.
- That is where the third option comes in.
- Ethanol ablation of the primary with follow up to be sure the cancer was ablated.
- PEI has no use in treated larger or invasive forms of thyroid cancer only encapsulated micro-papillary cancers as alternative to AS or surgery.
- Call to see if you are a candidate for either AS or PEI.
- 310-393-8860 or email@example.com.