Thyroid Cancer 101: Men Avoid Seeing a Doctor with “stiff Upper Lip”
- MasterChef finalist with thyroid cancer had lump in neck a year before seeing GP.
- Chef now says men need to get better at talking about health symptoms.
- The 2016 MasterChef finalist was diagnosed with thyroid cancer aged 33, after he had ignored a lump in his neck for more than a year.
- Biopsy of the tumour had thyroid cancer.
- A nine-hour operation, Billy had his thyroid removed.
- At the same time, surgeons removed 33/101 lymph nodes had thyroid cancer.
- He had a round of radioactive iodine treatment.
- A nerve near Billy’s voicebox was also damaged during the procedure.
- He had quite a low squeaky voice for about a month after the operation.
- With voice therapy, his voice came back.
- If you feel something in your neck go to your physician directly and do not wait.
- Most likely it is nothing but it could be more serious if you “stiff upper lip it” and wait.