Thyroid Cancer 101: Why the First Surgery is the Most Important and Needs an Expert Thyroid Surgeon.
Is your local surgeons expert at total thyroidectomies, neck dissections and can your local hospital radiology locate neck disease before the surgery with imaging methods. Can your local radiologist do FNA with needle washouts for thyroiglobulin of lymph nodes to prove the present of cancer in the neck outside the thyroid?
If not say no to immediate surgery and opt for outside opinions.
Thyroid 28(5) 2018 p.593
Miller JE et al
Dr.Guttler’s comments on this article.
- The first surgery is inadequate too many times due to insufficient skills of the local surgeon on the first biopsy.
- Failure to do a complete dissection of Levels VI, IV III and II when evidence of positive nodes are seen on imaging pre-op results in persistent disease later requiring more neck surgery and radioiodine.
- An Expert thyroid surgeon will locate and remove the lymph nodes, that are missed in over 50% of the cases due to inadequate pre-op evaluation of the extent of neck lymph node disease.
- Gary Clayman MD at Clayman Thyroid Cancer Center in Tampa FL is one of the best in the world at detailed neck dissections and total thyroidectomy.
- THYROID SURGERY IS RARELY AN EMERGENCY.
- REFUSE THE TEMPTATION TO RUSH TO SURGERY BECAUSE IT IS OR COULD BE THYROID CANCER.
- THYROID CANCER IS RARELY EVER A RUSH JOB TO BE DONE BY INEXPERIENCED SURGEONS AT YOUR LOCAL HOSPITA.
- TAKE TIME TO LOCATE THE BEST THYROID SURGEON.
- THIS WILL SAVE YOU MANY YEARS OF REPEAT SURGERY AND RADIOIODINE THERAPY.
- See me for the second opinion and I will direct you to the best thyroid surgeons if needed and/or set up alternative therapy with ethanol or radiofrequency ablation or active surveillance. My center, and Dr. Ian Hay at the Mayo Clinic can organize ethanol ablation of recurrent lymph nodes and primary micro-papillary with ethanol ablation.
- I can evaluate you for radiofrequency ablation of large symptomatic benign nodules and recurrent cancer lymph nodes and primary micropapillary cancers without surgery at Dr. JH Baek’s Asan medical center in Korea.
- Call me at 310-393-8860 or email to email@example.com for details before making the decision to undergo the knife.
- Richard Guttler MD,FACE,ECNU