Thyroid Cancer 101: You have a Small Papillary thyroid Cancer. You could be a candidate for No Surgery just active surveillance followup AS.
- Risk based on size, location inside the thyroid gland, patient’s age, and other diseases limiting surgery.
- <1.5 cm is the maximum size for AS.
- Tumor near capsule or in thin area of the isthmus.
- Young age is a negative as there are more lymph node disease later causing a need for rescue surgery.
- Willingness to accept AS instead of surgery.
- Put in 3 categories for AS. Ideal candidate, appropriate, and inappropriate.
- The chance for long term AS without later rescue surgery depends on risk evaluation before any therapy is offered.
- Call me for evaluation for possible AS instead of immediate surgery for your small <1.5 cm papillary thyroid cancer.
- There are some who don’t want surgery but also are nervous to have a small cancer in the neck for years. Ethanol ablation as shown in a recent study by Dr.Ian Hay could ablation the microcancer.
- 310-393-8860 or email@example.com for evaluation for AS and also for ethanol ablation as alternatives to surgery for < 1.5 cm cancers.