Thyroid Cancer No Surgery 2018: You are told you need another thyroid cancer surgery because you have recurrent neck lymph nodes positive for papillary thyroid cancer.What are your options?
Criteria for alternative ethanol PEI or radiofrequency ablation RFA of recurrent disease in neck lymph nodes.
- This is never a first line treatment for local regional neck lymph nodes.Modified neck dissection is the treatment of choice.
- The number of positive nodes must be <5 and show no signs of extra-nodal extension.
- Ultrasound image of suspicious lymph node with microcalcifications.
- Small primary on the left with positive lymph node on the right.
- Blood flow is chaiotic and around the outside seen of the right
Lymph node needed two ethanol ablations to ablate
A positive Ultrasound guided FNA and needle washout for thyroglobulin.
papillary thyroid cancer cell group with intranuclear cytoplasmic inclusions.
Sometimes the lymph node cytology is negative but a needle washout for cancer marker thyroglobulin TG is positive. This is common with cystic papillary cancer in lymph nodes.
Centers in the USA such as Mayo clinic and private endocrinologists do ethanol ablation PEI .
Call me at 310-393-8860 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org for details to see if you can save yourself from another hospital surgery.
Radiofrequency ablationRFA is another alternative but is not available in the US. You must travel to Korea now until FDA approval for thyroid related RFA ablation treatment.