Thyroid Cancer Patient Economics 101: Debt and Loss of Jobs.
Survivors from thyroid cancer had similar problems with money and work as those with other cancers.
1. Young adult cancer survivors found 14 % borrowed more than $10,000.
2. 1.5 percent said they or their family had filed for bankruptcy.
3. Cancer treatment interfered with physical demands of their job.
4. Cancer or treatment interfered with their ability to perform mental tasks related to their job.
5. Chemotherapy were more than three times as likely to borrow over $10,000.or three times as likely to report job-related mental impairment than survivors not treated with chemotherapy.
6. Survivors were from thyroid cancer had similar problems with money and work
Why it is important to determine what type of thyroid cancer because some are now felt to be a benign tumor and does not need expensive long term follow up and therapy for cancer.
Non invasive Follicular Tumor with papillary cells. NIFT-P
Also there is non surgical therapy options for small papillary cancers without surgery.These in the past were treated with surgery and radiation. Active Surveillance or Ablation by ethanol PEI or Radiofrequency RFA.
Also more thyroid cancers are treated with a smaller surgery and no radioiodine.
These options saves expensive life time thyroid hormone therapy in many patients.
Before you go to surgery have an expert consultation to go over your options.
Call me at 310-393-8860 for firstname.lastname@example.org .