Thyroid Cancer Screening Testing 101: A Bad Idea for Most People.
Remember My Simple Rules.
It All begins with the unnecessary screening thyroid ultrasound.
- No screening for thyroid cancer begins with a seemingly harmless thyroid ultrasound.
- If you have no reason to been evaluated for thyroid nodules and cancer say NO to the ultrasound. If you have the US anyway it could lead to a slippery slope to the operating room for no reason.
- U.S. Preventive Services task force recommends against screening for thyroid nodules and cancer
- The reason to allow an thyroid ultrasound includes a palpable nodule, history or thyroid cancer in the family, or goiter or Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. Also first degree family with hypothyroidismor hyperthyroidism. Finally external radiation for other cancers.
- No indications? Just say NO to the thyroid ultrasound requested by your physician.
Screening for Breast,colon,cervical are recommended.
Thyroid, endometrial, lung without a smoking history, and prostate cancers are not recommend for screening without an indication.