Thyroid Hormone Prescriptions 101: Have An Endocrinologists Treat You.
- Brand-name thyroid medication prescriptions decreased from 2007 to 2016.
- Endocrinologist’s are the best physician to decide if you should be treated with branded thyroid hormone not other specialists or your primary. Request a consultation if they want to treat you with generic.
- Generic thyroid medications were consistently prescribed more frequently in patients with Medicare.
- Patient predictors of thyroid medication usage were that older adults more frequently used generic thyroid medication.
- ,Women more frequently used brand-name thyroid medication.
- Endocrinologists were more frequently for brand-name thyroid medications even if you were older on Medicare.
- Women have more thyroid disease and they went to endocrinologists who gave them branded thyroid.
- Generic T4 can be switched to different companies every time you get a refill. This changes the amount as every generic even though it has the same amount written on the RX can release a different amount than your Synthroid pills.
- Synthroid brand prescriptions with dispense as written ( DAW 1) can not be switched to any other brand or generic as it is requested by the endocrinologist.