Thyroid No Surgery 101
Why are patients going to surgery with their thyroid nodule indeterminate biopsy results? There are DNA/RNA marker tests on the nodule that can save you from unnecessary thyroid surgery.
1. Molecular marker DNA and MicroRNA testing on thyroid nodules saves hundreds or thousands of patients unnecessary thyroid surgery.
I have been involved in early work on these methods, and have authored the original paper on clinical use of molecular markers.
This is my recent participation in a clinical study on the use of one method. This combined Mutation and microRNA by Interpace DX called ThyGenX and ThyraMIR was used in 9 institutions on indeterminate biopsies.
- Negative patients had low chance of cancer over 2 years.
- Positive ThyGenX ThyraMIR nodules had significant increase risk of cancer over 2 years.
- Nodules with negative results had low probability of needing thyroid lobectomy surgery at 2 years.
- Nodules with positive results had higher risk of have either a lobe removed or a total thyroidectomy.
What does this mean to the patient with an indeterminate nodule slated for surgery?
Stop the press and delay the surgery until a proper marker study is done on your nodule. If you have negative markers you do not need surgery but need a referral to experts who can evaluate you for alternative therapy without surgery if the nodule is larger or causing symptoms.
Call me at 310-393-8860 or email to email@example.com for details how to get marker testing with or without requiring another biopsy.
Richard Guttler MD FACE,ECNU
Cinical expert in marker testing and interventional thyroid treatments with ethanol and radiofrequency.