Thyroid Nodules 2017 Treatment Options in addition to Surgery or Radioiodine.
Thyroid Nodule Guidelines from American College of Endocrinology: Gharib et al Endocrine Practice May 12 2016
- Thyroid hormone suppression has limited use for most nodules , but in selected cases it can be studied over 6 months to see if it decreases the growth marker thyroglobulin. If evidence of suppressed growth the patient may see some advantage of staying on T4.
- Ethanol Ablation PEI is the treatment of choice for relapsing benign cystic thyroid nodules with >50% cyst fluid.
- Ultrasound guided thermal ablation with Radiofrequency Ablation RFA is the best for solid benign nodules. Microwave thermal ablation MWA is a newer procedure needing more study.
- Surgery is the treatment of choice for most cancers, and suspicious thyroid nodules.
- Radioiodine or surgery for Toxic nodular goiters.
- Santa Monica thyroid center is expert in doing ethanol ablations and referral evaluation for radiofrequency ablation for solid nodules. Call Matthew at 310-393-8860 for details.