Usefulness of two-stage ethanol ablation in the treatment of benign predominantly cystic thyroid nodules.
- First drain and treat the cystic component.
- Return to treat the solid component.
- 25 patients were studied.
- 25/25 had complete collapse of the cyst component.
- 20/25 were treated for Doppler positive solid component.
- 9/20 patients who underwent additional EA for a remaining solid component, complete ablation (n = 9),
- 7/20 incomplete ablation (n = 7),
- 4/20 and no response (n = 4)
- 4/7 patients with incomplete ablation underwent radiofrequency ablation, and they showed complete ablation on follow-up US.
- Two-stage EA may be useful for the treatment of benign PCTNs.
PEI therapy is not a painful treatment and is safe. Benign thyroid or parathyroid cysts or thyroid mixed cyst/solid benign nodules can be treated without a surgery.
Call Matt at 310-393-8860 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. for details. The other uses for ethanol PEI is to treat recurrent thyroid cancer in neck lymph nodes instead of another neck surgery, and for primary micro-papillary cancer instead or surgery or active surveillance.
Richard Guttler MD,FACE,ECNU.