Visual Examination of the Neck 101: Thyroid Nodules Seen on the Necks of people on TV.
- I have seen people on TV with neck masses in the thyroid area.
- I have called them and told them they needed to be evaluated.
- Some said they knew they had a nodule and it was biopsied and was benign.
- A few hung up on me.
- However in 40 years have diagnosed a few cases after first seeing them on TV.
- Thyroid gland will move up and down when the person is talking.
- My first was a News person whose nodule was evident.I called her and she came in for a biopsy.
- The nodule was a cyst. After one biopsy and drainage it never recurred until she was lost to follow up moving out of state.
- A reported incident took place in the spring of 2018, when a head and neck surgeon watching “Beachfront Bargain Hunt,” noticed an area of swelling on the front of the home buyer’s throat.
- When she turned her head or stretched her neck to look upward, the swelling became prominent enough that he believed it could be a thyroid mass.
- He posted his concerns to his Facebook page.
- With the power of the internet, the surgeon and the home buyer were quickly put in touch with each other.
- He explained his suspicion and urged her to undergo diagnostic tests, specifically a sonogram and a fine needle biopsy.
- She followed his advice, learned that she did indeed have a malignant tumor, and immediately sought appropriate treatment.
- On HGTV, Several years prior, a nurse watching the popular home renovation show “Flip or Flop” discerned what she believed to be a tumor on the neck of one of the hosts.
- Her concerns proved to be correct. The tumor was malignant, and the host underwent successful treatment for his thyroid cancer.
- A keen eye by a physician or nurse can spot a thyroid nodule.
- If you get a call about your neck after appearing in a TV show do not ignore it.
- You may have thyroid cancer.