What Happens When You Don’t Get Expert Opinions On Indeterminate Thyroid Biopsies?
Unnecessary Surgery or a Total vs A Simple Lobectomy?
DF Schneider et al Endo Practice 23(4) 2017
- The wrong surgery can cause problems.
- Some cancers in a lobectomy case triggers a completion thyroidectomy.
- Over-use of a total thyroidectomy in benign cases results in life time the hormone therapy.
- What can make the initial evaluation more likely to prevent too much surgery, not enough , or even no surgery.
- 20-40% or more in this study were treated incorrectly and had the wrong initial surgery. New guidelines would increase the excessive use of totals in low risk cancer by high volume surgeons.
- Before you sign up for surgery see a thyroid specialist not a surgeon and have your slides from the biopsy examined by micro-dissection for nucleic acid mutations and classifier.( Interpace Labs does both on slides) THY Gen X and ThyMIR
- If the original biopsy was done by liquid prep, or the slides were of poor quality for mutation study have a repeat to collect markers DIRECT from the nodule.
- Don’t let a high volume surgeon talk you into a total because they can do it safely, when it is excessive and cost you a lifetime of thyroid treatment if benign.
- Finally there are small classic papillary thyroid cancers <1.5 cm that don’t need surgery but can be followed by Active Surveillance.
- And some thyroid cancers NIFT-P have been downgraded to benign and only need a lobe removal to confirm the benign non-invasive nature and not a Total.
- Call Matt 310-393-8860 for an evaluation BEFORE the surgery.