Baloch ZW et al
Endocrine Practice 23(9) September 2017 1153-58
Images from the article.
Comments about this article by Dr.Guttler
A The first cartoon on the left is a benign follicular adenoma.
It is encapsulated and has no invasion.
B The right cartoon has a follicular carcinoma with capsule invasion (red arrow) and blood vessel invasion ( black arrow).
C. The Non invasive follicular neoplasm with papillary nuclei called NIFT-P.
D. Follicular Variant of papillary carcinoma with capsule (red arrow and Blood vessel invasion ( black).
A. Thin capsule of NIFT-P
B. Cytology will have papillary carcinoma like nuclei.
C. NIFT-P has papillary carcinoma like nuclei
- 5% of cancer are now downgraded to benign as NIFT-P. That is about 5,000 cases a year.
- NIFT-P patients with new MicroRNA studies may even be treated with the lobectomy in the near future.Until then a simple lobectomy will allow the diagnosis to be made.
- NIFT-P patient do not need radioiodine or long term cancer follow up.
- This will decrease the incidence of bankruptcy common in thyroid cancer patients.
- To be re-classified you need an outside opinion.The surgical block from your surgery must be found and examined by expert pathologists.
- Call Matt at 310-393-8860 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for details on obtaining a review of your case either before surgery or retrospective evaluation.
- You may be one of the 5,000 overdosed as cancer every year.