Benign Cystic Thyroid Nodule Treatment With Ethanol Goes Mainstream When The Famous Mayo Clinic Does a Limited Study on 12 Patients. It is about time.
Dr.Guttler’s comments on this study in press at Mayo clinic proceedings.
- Mayo clinic which as first to use ethanol PEI for recurrent cancer lymph node treatment by Dr.Ian Hay and is team.
- However it took until 2018 for Mayo to do a study on ethanol ablation PEI of thyroid cysts on 12 patients.
- They found it was a safe and effective alternative procedure to surgery.
- Maybe Mayo clinic famous for thyroid surgery for 50 years, was slow to explore alternative with the pressure of the all mighty department of surgery.
- Major centers need to get out front of these surgery saving alternatives.
- At my center and others we have been doing PEI over 10 years.
- One case of a thyroid cyst treated at Mayo with PEI
9. These physicians did a small study to prove what was already known for 15 years that Mayo or other surgeons have no place in the treatment majority of benign thyroid cystic thyroid nodules.
10. Then why are so few PEI treatments done in the USA?
11. The long term medical use pattern is primary care to endocrinologist to their Mayo clinic surgeons or their local hospital surgeons.
12. Their physicians spread fear that ethanol is painful and dangerous.
13. Their referral for old school treatment with surgery is more risky than PEI period.
14 For PEI treatment information call 310-393-8860 or email@example.com.
15. Surgery should be the last resort not the first option.