Is Thyroid RFA Safe and is it Effective for Benign Thyroid Nodules as Alternative to Surgery? The Answer is Yes.
Comments by Dr.Guttler
Korean J Radiol. 2018 Jan-Feb;19(1):167-174.
Jung Suk Sim, MD, PhD, et al
Efficacy and Safety of Radiofrequency Ablation for Benign Thyroid Nodules: A Prospective Multicenter Study.
What are the possible complications and are there any that are life threatening?
- No life threatening complications.
- Complication rate was 5%.
- Major complications were 1%. and minor was 4%.
- Side effects occurred in 5%.
- All recovered completely except one with hyperthyroidism treated with ATD.
- Therefore the overall sequelae was 1/275 or 0.36% of the study group.
- transient voice change 2/276 (0.7%)
- hyperthyroid 1/276 (0.4%)
- Minor complications 11/276 Hematoma 10/276 ( 3.6 %)
- skin burn first degree 1/276 0.4%
- Side effects 13/276
- edema 10/276 3.6%
- coughing 2/276 0.7%
- Nausea and vomiting 1/276 0.4%.
- total of 27 over 1-30 days.
Comments: Present state is Thyroid RF is not FDA approved in the USA, and patients need to travel to Italy or Korea. This is arranged by referral after my evaluation. The patient will only have to stay 2 days just for the treatment.
Call 310-393-9860 for details