Novel Teaching Methods for Thyroid Tumor Radiofrequency Ablation for Endocrinologists.
Master’s Class in Thyroid Tumor Ablation Ethanol and RFA Ablation
Richard B.Guttler MD,FACE,ECNU
Interventional Thyroidologist RFA Section: Thyroid Radiofrequency Ablation Teaching Methods
Goal is to teach Thyroid RF for your office.
RFA Teaching Methods, Materials and Techniques
1. Superconcentrated Gelatin suspension Phantom system for nodules and for (microdissection) dextrose separation technique.
Straws filled with conduction gel for danger blood vessels and nerves during dextrose infusion technique. Olives and cocktail onions for parathyroid glands.
Gelatin Model Reference: Thyroid (24)11,2014 1662–3 Dev Abraham MD,MRCP(UK),ECNU
2. RFA done on either Bovine Liver or turkey breasts with Beef “nodules” inserted, or beef nodules inserted into cooled supersaturated gelatin for a more sanitary workshop.
RFA Devices and Techniques
1. RFA Generator (RF Medical Korea)
2.Electrode with grounding pads
3. Saline cooled pump system
4. Lidocaine thyroid capsule infusion method.
5. Dextrose infusion method using gelatin model.
6. Ace Needle Me torso to practice positioning on a simulated neck for transisthmic approach.
7. Moving shot technique practice on bovine liver/beef nodules.
8. Dissection of beef nodules for completeness of the ablation.
Thyroid RFA System: The Generator & Cooling Pump (RF Medical Korea )
Thyroid Friendly Short Thin Electrodes Standard 10 mm electrode with with smaller tips ( 3,5,7 mm ) for lymph nodes cancer and danger triangle work.
Grounding Pads for Unipolar Electrodes on thighs.
Bipolar electrode for pregnant and pacemaker patients. No electricity going through the patient to the grounding pads.
Trans-isthmic Approach Electrode enters through the avascular isthmis area.
Trans-isthmic Approach Demo on Neck Torso
Actual Capsule Lidocaine Infusion Method
Practice on model
Actual lidocaine injectin of the thyroid capsule.
Microdissection technique during classes and how it looks when used on a patient to separate a danger structure from a target nodule
Dissection Method for Completeness of the RFA Ablation“Beef” Nodule from Gelatin or Liver Models.