Thyroid Ablation Therapy with Radiofrequency Frequency RFA for Autonomous “HOt”Thyroid Nodules. Alternative to Surgery or Radiation? Yes
Sung JY et al Thyroid 2015(1) Jan 25 112-7.
- 44 patients from 5 centers who refused surgery.
- 23 toxic nodule,21 AFTN
- #18 “thyroid probe” was used.
- 19 ml reduced to 4 ml by 20 months.
- Hormone studies were reduced toward normal.
- 35/44 thyroid scans were converted from hot to normal or cold.
- Uptakes decreased in the other nine bur were still hot.
- Symptom and cosmetic scores improved.
- No major complications were seen in all institutions.
- Conclusion: RFA is safe effective method to treat toxic or autonomous nodules. Should be considered an alternative to surgery or radioiodine therapy.
- DR.Roberto Valcavi treating my patient with autonomous functioning thyroid nodule in his center in Italy.