Thyroid and Parathyroid Cysts 101: Ethanol Ablation PEI, Treatment of Choice is Still Not Done Enough In the USA.
Ultrasound image of a cystic thyroid nodule
- PEI for cystic nodules has been done since the 1990’s.
- However, it has never replaced or even come close to replacing thyroid surgery.
- A 10 minute procedure done in the physicians office should have replaced surgery requiring hospital stay for thyroid surgery with it’s 2-10% complication risk.
- Also a neck scar.
- A potential for requiring thyroid hormone treatment for life.
- > 50% cyst fluid in a benign nodule is an indication for PEI.
- Ethanol injected into the cyst stays inside the capsule.
- Incidence of complications are low.
- Seek out physicians that treat benign cystic nodules with ethanol.
- Call me for details at 310-393-8860 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.