Thyroid No Surgery 101: Dr.Guttler’s Rules to Avoid Unnecessary Thyroid Surgery.
- Do not have a thyroid biopsy. Why?
- The thyroid ultrasound will show many nodules many that DO NOT NEED BIOPSY.
- When you are told to have a biopsy it is best to defer one until you are sure it is indicated.
- Some nodules are too small. (<1.5 cm )
- Some are clearly pure cysts.
- Some are called spongiform and are almost 100% benign.
- To determine if you need a biopsy consult an endocrinologist with experience in looking at thyroid ultrasounds and better yet see a Ultrasound certified ECNU endocrinologist listed in the aace.com website in your area.
- Biopsies done when they are not indicated can leads to surgery from over-diagnosis of a suspicious biopsy.
- You can send your ultrasound to me on my secure email at email@example.com for my opinion if a biopsy is indicated. The fee for review of your ultrasound is $ 250. Send your thyroid history if any as well for me to review.
- Call for a in person consultation before you have the biopsy at 310-393-8860.