Thyroid No Surgery 101: Dr.Guttler’s Rules to Avoid Unnecessary Thyroid Surgery.
- Never go to surgery with just the first local pathology opinion. Why?
- The first opinion may be wrong for many reasons. It can set up a cascade of events leading to surgery, complications, and unnecessary lifetime thyroid hormone therapy post-op.
- First the poor quality of the biopsy can lead to over-read by the pathologist due to poor biopsy technique leading to bloody distortion of the cells causing an inadequate biopsy to be called suspicious.
- A recent second opinion that the original biopsy report was a class IV suspicious for cancer, was not suspicious but a bad read on a poor quality biopsy that had blood causing distorted abnormal looking follicular cells groups.
- It said adequate for evaluation but it was inadequate needing a repeat biopsy.
- My repeat biopsy was benign and the molecular markers were negative and benign classifier.
- A second opinion before surgery is a very important thing to do.
- There is no emergency to have your thyroid removed.
- It is elective surgery and can be delayed if needed to get more opinions.
- You may be the one to prevent you thyroid from being removed for no good reason.
- Call or email for my evaluation of your biopsy. My fee for online consult for a biopsy is $450. Send the report and slides to my office. 310-393-8860 or email to email@example.com.