Thyroid No Surgery 101 For Thyroid Cysts: Did her physicians tell her there was a better less invasive way of treating a thyroid cysts?
- In 2018 no one should have surgery for a thyroid cyst without evaluation to see if ethanol ablation PEI, treatment of choice for thyroid and parathyroid cysts could be indicated.
- US physicians rarely recommend PEI thinking it is a painful and dangerous procedure.This is wrong.
- Mayo clinic and many private interventional thyroidologists do the procedure.
- Ayesha Curry had a serious surgery to remove her thyroid that left her with scar, and left her recovering from the surgery for weeks.
- It also may have left her needing thyroid hormone for life.
- While PEI is a short 15 minute procedure that leaves no scar, and does not change normal thyroid function.
- Even famous sports stars may get the wrong advice.
- Sorry Stephen. You should have asked for outside second opinion on alternatives as thyroid cyst surgery is elective not an emergency.
- Don’t let this happen to you. Call me at 310-393-8860 or firstname.lastname@example.org for details and ask for Alicia.
- Richard Guttler MD,FACE,ECNU Interventional thyroidologist
Ayesha Curry, wife of Golden State Warriors point guard Stephen Curry, underwent a successful surgery that removed her thyroid and cyst.
Successful but probably unnecessary!