1. Nodule volume increased over time (P < 0.001).
2.The estimated proportion of nodules with an increase in volume of 15% or greater after 5 years was 89%.
3. Nodules with greater cystic content were less likely to grow than solid nodules (P = 0.01).
4. Seventy-four of the 330 nodules were reaspirated on the second visit.
5. Despite an average increase in volume of 69%, only 1 of 74 reaspirated nodules was malignant.
6. Most solid, benign thyroid nodules grow.
7.Increase in nodule volume is not a predictor of malignancy.
Most benign thyroid nodules grow but if the FNA was benign at the beginning only a few will turn out to be cancer when they have another biopsy.
Richard Guttler MD,FACE,ECNU
Just because it is growing does not mean you need surgery.If it is truly benign you can have alternative treatment without surgery. Ethanol PEI or radiofrequency ablation RFA are available now.
Call Matt at 310-393-8860 or firstname.lastname@example.org for ethanol ablation in my center or referral for RFA in Korea or Italy.