Thyroid Nodules 101: Alternative Therapy with Ethanol PEI
- PEI for thyroid nodules has been available in the US for many years but is under-utilized as an effective alternative to thyroid surgery
- Primary care to endocrinologist to surgeon is the triple play at most hospitals.
- Thyroid surgery is the life blood of small/ medium hospitals.
- Training in doing PEI is lagging behind as there is fear by endocrinologists about malpractice.
- Radiologists do not consider PEI alternative in most cases.
- There are trained PEI experts in the US but the patient must look for them.
- The PEI outcomes were defined by symptom relief or reduction in nodule volume and safely no major adverse events.
- Cystic or solid cystic benign nodules are candidates for ethanol ablation.
- Percutaneous ethanol injection PEI is safe and effective alternative to surgical resection for patients with thyroid nodules and compressive symptoms who decline surgery or are not good surgical candidates.
- Call me for details of my PEI therapy for thyroid nodules at 310-393-8860 or firstname.lastname@example.org.