What is Thyroid HIFU 101? A Chinese Dish or an Alternative Treatment for Benign Thyroid Nodules
High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU): Another Non-Surgical Alternative to Surgery?
- High intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) is a new, promising thermal ablation technique in treating benign thyroid nodules.
- Focused Ultrasound sends high energy waves into the nodule to cause cell death.
- HIFU effects first seen in 1927.
- Localized effects were seen in 1940’s.
- First clinical use was making brain lesions for Parkinson’s treatment in 1950’s.
- 1990’s improved imaging allowed focal treatment of specific oncologic lesions.
- By focusing the US waves it can target nodules in the thyroid and cause cell death without any damage outside the nodule.
9. The probe is on the skin. There is no skin entry like Ethanol and RFA.
10.The HIFU beam goes through the skin and causes a “cigar shaped lesion at the focal point of the 2 beams. The single lesion is 1.5 x 15mm or a kill area of 1 cm.
11. Overlapping areas in the thyroid nodule are treated until the nodule is ablated.
12.Thyroid is ideal for HIFU as there is no penetration of the neck.
13. US guidance of the probe is used for thyroid nodules.
14. No need for MR.
15. The probe sits on the skin only.
14. US guidance requires excellent B mode US imaging.
This is the only truly non-invasive system because there is no penetration of the body
like ethanol and RFA.
Image of HIFU treatment for a thyroid nodule
Call Matt at 310-393-8860 for a HIFU referral evaluation. You can have your nodule removed with a 1-2 day stay in Europe or Asia at a HIFU treatment center where the procedure is approved. They accept my evaluation making the stay short just for the treatment. HIFU coming soon to the USA.