What Things Promote Goiter Formation?
- Iodine Intake, iodine deficiency in some countries. Iodine excess, Brazil and Japan and thyroid support supplement and Kelp eaters in the USA .
- Chemicals, Thiocyanate in cigarettes, Perchlorate in fertilizers,rocket propellants, fireworks,road flares,matches,airbag inflation systems. Disulfides in coal processing
- Food, Flavonoids in soy, Glucosinolates in cruciferous veggies,Cyanogenic glucosides in cassava,lima beans,linseed,sorghum,sweet potatoes.
- Drugs, lithium, aminoglutethimide in mood stabilizers and anti-steroid drugs
- Pollutants, nitrates in nitrogen rich fertilizers
- Micronutrient deficiencies, in Selenium,and Vitamin A. Patients on total parenteral nutrition, iron deficiency anemia,cystic fibrosis
- Hormone alterations, IGF-1 excess, TGF decrease in acromegaly, SLE.
- Genetic factors, mutations and polymorphisms in recessive or dominant mutations, polymorphisms on genes as 16q23.