Comments on this article:
1. Iodine may trigger tumorigenesis and development of thyroid carcinoma.
2. MicroRNA (MiRNAs) are known to be involved in each stage of cancer development.
3.The role of miRNAs in iodine-induced tumorigenesis of thyroid carcinoma remained unknown.
4. The miRNA related signaling pathway in thyroid cancer cells are studied.
5. Tumor xenografts in nude mice were established by subcutaneous injection of cancer cells.
6.In vivo studies also confirmed that iodine promoted tumor growth by suppressing miR-422a and up-regulating MAPK1.
7. Conclusions: Our study illustrates a new pathway comprising iodine, miRNA and MAPK1, and defines a novel mechanism in thyroid cancer.
8. The miR-422a-MAPK1 pathway in high iodine environment is involved in the processes of cell proliferation and migration, thus regulating tumorigenesis in Thyroid Cancer.
Comments: The supplement industry in the US with their continued push of thyroid support supplements loaded with iodine for “thyroid health” may even be putting thyroid patients at risk for iodine induction of a thyroid cancer. FDA only registers supplements does not test them. They only crack down if they claim to cure disease. Modern day snake oil salesmen may also be making you at risk for thyroid cancer.
Say no to thyroid support supplements if you have a thyroid condition.
Richard Guttler MD,FACE,ECNU