Thyroid Goiter 101: Thyroid Injections for Goiter: 1890
Injection Treatments used in 1890 are now full circle 100 years later with ethanol ablation PEI starting in 2000.
TREATMENT BY INJECTIONS INTO THE THYROID.
1.Boiling-water injections into the thyroid gland for hyperthyroidism have been devised lately by M. F. Porter.
2. This method was designed to destroy enough of the thyroid cells to render the patient euthyroid.
3. Porter Water method is less irritating other injection methods.
4. Used before surgery it reduces the surgical shock we call post -op thyroid storm today.
5. Three deaths occurred after boiling water treatment at Mayo clinic.
6. The erroneously intravenous injection of an artery caused sloughing and subsequent infection.
7. Converting the thyroid to scar can cause respiratory complications by constricting the trachea.
8. Other agents used in early 1900 included urea and quinine.
Present day use of ethanol injections for goiter, nodules and cancer have been very successful in decreasing the need for surgery in many patients. Contrary to injecting boiling water which caused deaths and serious side effects, few serious complications and no deaths from ethanol ablation 2017.
Call Matt at 310-303-8860 or firstname.lastname@example.org for ablation details.
Richard Guttler MD,FACE,ECNU