Thyroid Ultrasound 101; History
1.700’s Spallanzani showed that bats used sound waves to hunt and navigate at night.
- Sound waves were used in underwater distance measuring called Sonar .
- World War II US was used to treat illnesses such as Arthritis.
- First clinical of US was Dr Dussik in Austria to measure the ventricles of the brain.
- Ludwig used A mode US to detect gall stones in animals.
- 1960-70s US was used to evaluate the thyroid gland.
- 1967 US machine had a large water bath over the neck.
- Point of care US for thyroid is now the best way to look at the thyroid to solve problems.
- Certification in Thyroid ultrasound allows the endocrinologist to do real time studies himself without referral to radiology.
- 1960s US used to measure the weight of the thyroid. Also to find cysts and nodules.
- In the J.of Clincal Endocrinology JCEM first paper published on thyroid US.
- US could detect solid or cystic nodules in the a 1971 paper.