Thyroid 101: BPA “analogues” BPS and BPF can disrupt thyroid function.
zebrafish thyroid function disrupted in Korean study.
- The finding will increase concerns about the growing trend of manufacturers substituting BPA in their products for these compounds, which are structurally similar at the molecular level, but are much less well understood in terms of toxicity.
- They tested the substances on zebrafish embryos and larva to investigate effects on thyroid function, an indicator of endocrine disruption.
- BPS and BPF both caused significant increases in thyroid hormones levels.
- BPF and BPS might not be safer alternatives to BPA in terms of thyroid hormone disruption,”
- Thyroid hormones play a essential role in various physiological processes, such as development, growth, reproduction and energy metabolism.
- Try to reduce exposure to chemicals that disrupt thyroid function.