Active surveillance AS of low-risk papillary thyroid cancer: 2100/4200 patients opted for surgery in this study! How many would opt out of surgery and switch to radiofrequency ablation if it was offered as a third alernative to AS?
- Because the patients were only given Surgery or AS as alternatives, the main indication for surgery was patient preference, not disease progression, at 51.9% (95% confidence interval 44.9–58.9%).
- Would the patients choose radiofrequency ablation over surgery or AS?
- 50% of the study group of 4200 patients in 9 studies decided to have invasive surgery to observation by AS for many years.
- They were not given a third option before they had to decide.
- There is a strong desire of patients to rid their body of the small cancer even though it is low risk for enlarging or spreading and no risk of dying in the 9 study groups.
- Contact me at 310-393-8860 or [email protected]
Active surveillance of low-risk papillary thyroid cancer: A meta-analysis
Surgery, Volume 168, Issue 5, November 2020, Pages 975
Surgery, Volume 167, Issue 5, May 2020, Pages 885-886