Endocrine Neck Ultrasound in Thyroid cancer 2017
- Before the surgery for thyroid cancer neck study to find abnormal lymph nodes. A positive FNA with Thyroglobulin washout can change the original surgery plan to include neck dissection. Cytology and or an abnormal elevated TG in the lymph makes a 100% diagnosis of metastatic disease requiring a neck dissection.
- Post surgery follow up protocol finding abnormal lymph nodes and after confirming with FNA and TG washout, can plan for a initial neck dissection, or ethanol ablation alternative if a prior neck dissection was done on that side.
- Ethanol ablation under ultrasound guidance can ablate small numbers of cancer lymph nodes as an outpatient without surgery.
- Ultrasound guided RFA or Laser ablation of cancer lymph nodes is also available.
- Image below is USG Ethanol ablation of a cancer lymph node